Sunday, April 19, 2015

Reflection on Presentation

The topic that I did my presentation on was Cyberbullying. Oddly, Cyberbullying, is the topic that I am least passionate about. That feeling came through strongly when I was proposing my solutions to the class. This was despite the fact that I was well versed with my content, having written the essay 3 times prior to the presentation.

During the actual presentation, I was overwhelmed with anxiety and that resulted in some use of fillers to fill up the ‘breaks’ in my speech. Moreover, partly due to the lack of experience, I began presenting in ‘Singlish’ in the latter part of the presentation.

Luckily, the large part of the presentation was smooth and clear.  Prior preparation was indeed useful in helping me communicate my ideas across in a coherent manner. I hoped that I managed to convince my classmates about the severity of the problem. Nonetheless, I have learnt that, for a presentation to be persuasive and engaging, one must first be fully convinced by the idea that he wishes to communicate across, but that sadly was not the case for my solution.


1 comment:

  1. Boon Siang

    General comments
    - Very confident
    - Able to articulate ideas really well
    - Nice pace of presentation
    - Do not assume that everyone knows i.e. Xiaxue & SMRT story, Andrea Tan's FB post
    - Keep check of time

    Language use
    - Very little / no filler words
    - Use of humor to engage audience
    - Slight grammatical errors

    Strategic
    - Strong stance
    - Good use of pauses for audience to reflect upon points presented
    - Rhetorical questions to allow audience to think
    - Very convincing

    Vocal
    - Loud and clear pronunciation of words
    - Well-projected voice
    - Use good variation of tones

    Nonverbal
    - Appropriate hand gestures
    - Appropriate eye contact with audience

    Content/organization
    - Smooth transition from introduction to problem to solutions and conclusion
    - Explained and elaborated points clearly with examples

    Design
    - Short and simple
    - Relevant visual aids
    - A few overwhelming slides (too much information)
    - Do not use pictures that will not help enhance the presentation
    - Slides were inconsistent (style / design)

    Yay well done I think you did really really well and your presentation really awed me! I feel inspired to train harder and be a good presenter like you! :)

    ReplyDelete