Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Critical reflection draft 2

   As part of my class assignments in ES1102, I was tasked to write essays as well as give feedback on blog posts related to the module. Every written blog post will receive a feedback from either Brad or a fellow classmate. We were also required to provide feedback on our friend's blog post. Guidelines were provided to help us structure our feedback so as to ensure that the feedback was helpful.

   In order to provide substantial feedback, we had to first understand the various grammar rules that applied to good writing. Given the nature of the course, inevitably, we gradually internalised these grammar rules. Moreover there were many opportunities for us to practice the grammar rules that we had learnt. Compounded over time, I was able to identity certain grammatical errors that were present in my writing. While, this process is still a long way from perfection, I have indeed made positive steps towards improving my English.

   Brad believed that our language errors stemmed from a lack of awareness. When writing our essays, we were simply unconsciously committing grammatical mistakes. He also believed that English was complicated language with some of its rules being confusing at times. Thereby with his guidance we will be able to identify these mistakes and correct them in our future writings.

   Personally, I had a problem with colloquial writing, which reflected my difficulties with tenses, subject-verb-agreements and the use of commas. These recurring errors were highlighted many times by Brad in my essays. As mentioned earlier, from then till now, I have inculcated the habit of reviewing my sentences while writing. However these mistakes have been engrained in me over the years and will required a longer time to be effectively eradicated.

   As a Global Studies major, I will be writing numerous essays over the duration of my course. Having good grammar will enable me to communicate my ideas across in a more effective manner. After this module I will continue to practice the ‘subconscious’ habit of re-reading and shortening my sentences during writing. By applying the correct tenses I will then be able to succinctly convey my arguments effectively within the given word limit.

(360 words)


3 comments:

  1. Thanks for this well focused reflection, Boon Siang. I appreciate the way you have chosen to discuss your own evolving writing. It's good that you have highlighted that through the module, especially with my help, you have been internalizing more of the grammatical conventions for academic writing while developing an 'awareness' of some of your weak points. I just wonder how you feel about the peer feedback process. Was that useful? Did you trust that your peers would give you info that would be helpful?

    In any case, I really appreciate all the effort you have made this term. It's been a pleasure working with you. All the best in your future!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Brad,

      For the large part, i have received helpful feedback from my peers. Many of them provided clear directions that helped me improve my grammar in particular. Content wise, they also pointed out for me areas which there were logical leaps in my essay.

      However, perhaps because we are students, when it came to the grammatical errors were an end itself. I feel that most comments were not sufficiently specific to my error but largely a broad-based brush across the entire essay per se. Moreover, it didn't help me understand the processes that resulted in committing of the errors.

      Delete